September 19, 2007

I Flew Today!

I had the opportunity to go up flying with one of our pilots today for the first time on an exposure flight. It was awesome! It was a relatively smooth day out so it was a good time to get a feel for the airship. It really flies more like a boat then an airplane as you ride the waves of thermals and changing winds. By the end of the day I was definitely getting a better feel for it. I was really surprised during the flight by how much you have to work the rudders; my legs were tired after just a couple of hours. I was kicking myself though for not bringing my camera. We flew right up towards the Hudson River and had an absolutely perfect view of the New York City skyline. It is truly a unique experience to see New York from that point of view, just a thousand feet or so above the ground. It would have made a great postcard. I look forward to more scenic views like that in the future.