October 12, 2007

Days off in KC

Well I must say I've enjoyed my days off this week. Last night I went and saw one of my favorite bands, Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, who just happened to be in town. I had a feeling they might be near by so I checked the tour website and was pleasantly surprised. It was actually one of the coolest venues I've been to with the stage outside next to some railroad tracks in the middle of the industrial side of town. It was yet another great show by Roger and the guys. No matter how many times I see them, its always a unique experience. Getting to shake Steve Larson's (lead guitar)hand was a definite highlight at the end of the night.
Today me and a couple of the guys went and checked out the Arabia Steamboat Museum in the City Market area. It was actually really cool. The Arabia was a steamboat on the Missouri River back in the 1850's that sank with hundreds of tons of goods on board. Looking at all of the artifacts that they uncovered during their dig, I can see why they call the steamboats of the day the "Walmart of the 1800's." There were literally hundreds and thousands of goods displayed. It looked like it was a huge store full of everything from shoes and clothing to saws and axes. You can see the pictures by clicking here.
In addition to seeing the largest collection of artifacts from that time, they also tell the story of how the museum and the dig came to be. It all began with a father, his two sons and another business partner with a dream of finding buried treasure. After a lot of research and hard work, they turned it into reality. Hearing a tale like that helps to restore your belief in the American Dream. If you can dream it and are willing to put the work into it, almost anything is possible.