May 26, 2008

Catching Up

Well its been a busy week or so. I apologize for the lack of posts lately. We made it up to Rochester, NY in time for the Senior PGA Championship at Oak Hill. I received my first taste of flying for a TV event on Thursday for the Golf Channel coverage and then again on Saturday for the NBC coverage of the event. If you saw the "Best Shot in Golf" documentary a couple weeks ago on CBS, you have an idea of all the effort that goes into providing aerial coverage for golf events. It is every bit the challenge I expected it to be and more. Its a delicate balance trying to maneuver the airship to where the camera man can get the shots he needs, when he needs them, while trying not to distract the golfers below. It requires a lot of concentration and situational awareness to ensure you remain where you need to be. It comes as a surprise to a lot of people, but flying golf events is probably the most difficult kind of flying we do. I'm look forward to continuing to improve my skills with each event I fly. Since golf events cover most of our summer schedule, I'll have plenty of opportunities to do so. Our next event is The Memorial Tournament in Dublin, Ohio near Columbus.