June 5, 2008

Days Off in DC


Since I was just a short hour and a half train ride to Washington, DC I decided to jump on the Amtrak on my days off and go down and visit my sister. While I was there, I walked around the city a little and took a few pictures of the Capital Building and Washington Monument. I also stopped into The Air and Space Museum to take a look around and see what was new. I was on a mission to find any exhibits that dealt with airships, but they were few and far in between.

Before I left, I decided to check out the new National Museum of Crime and Punishment that just opened May 23. It was an amazing museum that I literally ran out of time in. I could have spent another two hours there at least looking at all of the exhibits. Some of the highlights include the knife Billy the Kid was holding when he was killed, the car Bonnie and Clyde were gunned down in and the machine gun used in the final scene of Scarface. The museum also had a lot of exhibits related to the legal process that explain such things as finger printing, police lineups and crime scene investigation. There were a number of interactive exhibits that made the whole experience really fun. Finally at the end of the museum tour, you can see the new studios where America's Most Wanted is now taping their show. According to a worker there, they just shot the first episode there last week. The host of America's Most Wanted, John Walsh is actually a part owner of the museum. If you are in DC, I highly recommend you check it out. I know I'll definitely go back.