July 31, 2009

The Windy City


I flew the transit down from Chicago to Indianapolis this week. On my way down I had the opportunity to fly past downtown for a few pictures. You can really take in all the sights flying down along the coast of Lake Michigan. The highlights include the building formally known as the Sears Tower, Soldier Field which is home of the Bears and the site which use to be Meigs Field Airport. I had the opportunity to fly into there for a memorable day in downtown Chicago back when I was still in college. Within the following year, the mayor of Chicago took advantage of post 9/11 fears and sent in trucks overnight to begin tearing up the runways at the airport. It was a landmark that held a special place in the heart of any pilot who had the opportunity to fly into there. It is now just a park.